Frontera Audubon is 15-acre nature preserve in the heart of the City of Weslaco in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas providing a haven for birds, butterflies and other wildlife that thrive among the native habitats of its Tamaulipan Thornscrub forest, orchard butterfly garden, wetlands, and ponds. The non-profit organization has been in existence since the late 1970s and has been operating from its current location since 2000. Nature enthusiasts from all across North America and parts of Europe visit the sanctuary.
Frontera Audubon houses a Visitors’ Center and the Texas Historic Landmark, the Skaggs House, a Spanish Mediterranean style house built in 1927. The house was built for early Weslaco residents, C.L. “Lester” and Florence R. Skaggs who were bankers and citrus growers. Bebe Skaggs James, daughter of Lester and Florence Skaggs, donated the property to Frontera Audubon in 1992 for conservation and preservation.