The McAllen Chamber of Commerce, with a membership of 2,000 and a staff of 21 was founded in 1925, and its forerunner, the McAllen Businessmen’s Club, founded and drove the creation of the City of McAllen in 1911. The McAllen Chamber is the largest chamber in a 15 county area and is broadly seen as the most innovative, cutting edge and progressive chamber in the region. The staff of the McAllen Chamber has been integral in creating and developing cooperative efforts in the region.
The mission of the McAllen Chamber of Commerce is to help McAllen businesses be successful and make money, accelerate connections, create economic momentum, and enhance the image and quality of place of McAllen. The Chamber will also lead, partner, or applaud efforts to improve McAllen.
The Chamber continues to focus on addressing issues and impacting areas important to our community’s success, and concentrates its time, energy and resources to making a difference in the following areas: 1) Creativity in several forms, especially the arts; 2) Innovation by encouraging new ideas and business opportunities; 3) Convention Sales that our Convention & Visitors Bureau brings to McAllen thereby encouraging people to spend their money in McAllen as well as Tourism where we concentrate on attracting Mexican Nationals and Nature Tourists to also come to our city and boost our economy; 4) Small Business Development & Entrepreneurship by developing new programs and events that help small businesses make money and become more successful; and 5) Quality of Place programs, issues and events where we can help to make McAllen an interesting, exciting and progressive place to live.
In 2014, the McAllen Chamber was designated a 5-Star Accredited Chamber of Commerce by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber staff, the board of directors, and volunteers of the McAllen Chamber of Commerce spent countless hours completing the Accreditation process. The Chamber excelled in 9 core areas ranging from finance, program development, and government affairs to technology and facilities. The result of its hard work is evidenced by this impressive rating. This was truly a milestone achievement as only seven other Chambers of Commerce in Texas were accredited and the McAllen Chamber is the only accredited Chamber in the Rio Grande Valley.
The purpose of the McAllen Chamber of Commerce is to represent the McAllen business community at all levels, to drive economic growth, innovation and development, and to be a catalyst to grow the economy through marketing, making connections, and increasing tourism/visitors in McAllen.
KEY DRIVERS (GOALS)
Driver 1 – To advocate and promote McAllen businesses and community issues.
Driver 2 – To drive economic growth, innovation, entrepreneurship, creativity and economic opportunity in McAllen.
Driver 3 – To market, promote, advertise, and enhance McAllen as a community of opportunity and growth in the United States and Mexico.
Driver 4 – To drive business success in McAllen by providing networking, connecting and growth opportunities through wealth creation and value-added programs.
Driver 5 – To create and enhance key partnerships and to grow the culture of collaboration and success.
Driver 6 – To drive and increase McAllen visitors/room nights and create economic opportunities through the growth and development of tourism.
- The McAllen Chamber of Commerce will be an organization that acts with integrity, accountability, and emotional intelligence in all programs, events, and operations, in all things it does, and in how the staff and board of directors conduct business.
- The McAllen Chamber of Commerce will strive to achieve excellence through calculated risks, innovation and outstanding customer service.
CUSTOMER BILL OF RIGHTS
- We exist to serve our customers; our customers do not exist to serve us.
- Our customers have the right to expect our best service.
- Our customers have the right to be treated courteously through our words, manners, and actions at all times.
- Our customers have the right to our full attention.
- We will find solutions to our customers’ problems and respond quickly and accurately to their inquiries or issues.
- We will strive to be a quality organization and will do the extra things that will enhance our services